Unable to sleep on sides

Do you have questions or concerns about your specific symptoms? You are not alone.

Unable to sleep on sides

Postby kerleywebb » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:52 am

I have not been able to sleep on either of my sides for many years now. When on my sides my breathing becomes shallow and I don't feel as if I am getting enough air into my lower chest area. When I turn on my back I get the air needed. If I fall asleep on my side, which is rare, I will wake up 5-20 minutes later needing deep breaths. Doctor's don't know what it is and don't seem to take it too seriously. However, it has completely changed my sleeping patterns and I feel is cause for concern. Has anyone had these symptoms with MVP?
kerleywebb

Re: Unable to sleep on sides

Postby AmyLiz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:21 am

Yes, absolutely. I think it's normal -- at least, normal for us. Perhaps something to do with the pressure it creates on the heart? My naturopath seemed to understand it. Personally, I can't lay on my left side or flat on my back for any significant period of time at all; I can only sleep on my right. Otherwise I'll get that same feeling as you with the breathing and sometimes heaviness in my chest and palpitations.
AmyLiz
Group Contributor

Postby cgray74 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:24 am

I have the same thing I can sleep on my right side and on my stomach but I cannot sleep on my back or left side. I feel my heart beat through my chest and I feel like I am suffocating. It is weird!
cgray74
Group Contributor

Postby walker.marsha » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:22 am

i have not been able to sleep on either sides in 15 years left side skipped beats right side can't breathe
i can only sleep on my back or stomach i flip and flop all night
walker.marsha
Group Contributor

Postby Mooney » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:02 am

Well add me to the list too, it's a rare treat for me to sleep on my sides. Mostly sleeping on my badk a little bit propped up.
8/2011 - Diagnosed with Moderate MVP - Age 40
1/2014 - Diagnosed with Heart Failure & Severe MVP - Age 43
2/2014 - Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Repair surgery by Dr. McMurtry at St. Joseph's - Reading, PA
Mooney

Postby Older lady here » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:19 am

The main reason i can't sleep on my left side is cuz i can feel my heart beat more and it freaks me out.
I don't notice anything else. My right side is ok and my back is ok. I am in late 50's.
Older lady here
Group Contributor

Postby Oliv » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:53 pm

U are more aware of ur heart and also stomach can be the reason.. I explained in post ,why skipping beats after eating' .. and who knows what else :)
Oliv
Group Contributor

Return to Discuss Your Symptoms