Does it ever get better?

General discussion about anything MVPS related or anything else on your mind. Off topic posts are welcome.

Does it ever get better?

Postby MoreHope » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:33 pm

I have MVP with MVR and I wondered if anyone ever read anything about MVP with or without MVR getting better by dietary changes or other means?

Please if you could share what you know, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

Blessings to Everyone :)
MoreHope
Group Contributor

Re: Does it ever get better?

Postby AngelaB. » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:42 pm

Hi Morehope...

I'm sorry that no one has responded to your post. Looks like you posted it back in November.

Try a few other threads...maybe under Lifestyle changes..you may find some people there that have had good results from dietary changes as well as exercise.

I pray you are well today!

Angela
AngelaB.
Group Contributor

Postby Serath » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:07 pm

As far as I know, and have experienced my self, MVP & MVR does not get better with diet. It is a permanent mechanical "flaw" if you want to call it that. Corrective surgery is also only concidered in extreme Hypertension cases and/or connective tissue disorders where the Aorta is dialated over 4mm.

Things that would agrivate it is stress and exertion.

Beta blockers can give some symptomatic relief but you have the added downside of extra dizzyness and fatigue...which is allready caused by the MVP and MVR. The only real upside to Beta blockers is no heart-palps/stabbing chest pains.

Beta Blockers only get prescribed for hypo/hypertension (Unless you are like me where they prescribe it without either but I need it to prevent Aortic rupture so they prescribe it under hypertension so the med-aid would at least pay).
Serath
Group Contributor

Postby JM » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:24 pm

We should probably clarify what it means to 'get better'.

As Serath points out, the actual physical prolapse and/or structure of the valve does not tend to change over time. This means that it won't (likely) just go away, but it also means that it does not tend to get worse over time.

However, since MVPS is really a myriad of symptoms that are not necessarily tied to the actual valve (it just seems like it), then the answer is YES, it can 'get better'.

In other words, yes, you can feel better. You can go months or years without any problems. But this does not mean the structural problems (if there are any) are necessarily going away.

Remember that we are talking about a syndrome when we speak of MVPS, which is not the same as just plain MVP & MVR.
JM

Postby Kris » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:57 am

I wonder about MVP going away. I had trivial to mild regurgitation in 2008 and no MVP. They found the MVP in 2009 but barely any regurgitation. Do these things flip flop back and forth? Can Drugs or alcohol have anything to do with MVP or Dysautonomia?
Kris
Group Contributor

Return to General Discussion